The Cancer Society team has been working hard to create events which will allow communities to come together to Celebrate, Remember and Fight Back against cancer. Committee members are being sought to make the Relay For Life event magic happen in Wanaka.
The members of the committee work with the Relay For Life Wanaka Coordinator to ensure a successful event that is consistent with the Cancer Society values, principles of Relay For Life and also representative of the unique local community.
The Committee Role Description:
- The committee works together to deliver the event and to promote team fundraising to maximise the total raised.
- Each committee member with have a specific role description based on their area of responsibility.
Specific roles available:
- Entertainment; Activities (coordinating on and off-stage entertainment and managing at the event).
- Operations; Logistics (assisting with sourcing suppliers and planning event layout).
- Sponsorship; Business Support (seeking sponsorship/prizes and promoting local business involvement).
- Volunteer Coordination (recruiting, rostering and training volunteers to assist at event).
- Catering (organising food trucks for event and coordinating catering for the breakfast).
- Finance & Reconciliation (tracking income, team fundraising and banking at the event).
- Survivorship and key ceremonies (coordinating opening, candlelight and closing ceremonies, survivors and carers walk).
- Attend committee meetings; provide progress reports relating to responsibilities.
- Tasks related to area of responsibility as per specific role description – in collaboration and with guidance from the whole committee.
- Communicate with other committee members to ensure that all concepts, timings and activities are aligned.
- Be on-site as needed at Relay and/or organise appropriate coverage.
- Record all relevant contact details/notes and pass on to Coordinator; take part in pre- and post-event planning sessions as required.
Benefits of volunteering in these roles:
- Personal development.
- Connect with diverse groups and businesses in the community.
- Opportunity to make a difference in your community.
- Support the achievement of the Cancer Society’s mission.
- Have fun, make new friends and be part of an awesome event!
Ideal volunteers will have/be:
- Clear verbal/written communication skills.
- Understands the needs of diverse groups; shows good judgement and diplomacy in decision making.
- Organised and detail-oriented.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Cancer Society’s mission.
- Commitment to following national and divisional Relay standards.
November 2020 – mid April 2021
- Two to four hours per week (less initially then increasing closer to event).
- Estimated number of committee meetings: one to two per month.
- Phone calls and emails as required.
- On site at event - weekend of 27th and 28th March 2021 (cover can be arranged as required).
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below.
We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.
Apply for this role: