Purpose of Position
To ensure our clients can attend their appointments.
Reports to: Driving Coordinator Key relationship: Manager Volunteering, who oversees all volunteer engagement
Key Functions and Responsibilities
Provide an efficient safe driving transport service for Cancer Society clients to appointments:
- Contact clients the night before to confirm transport arrangements.
- Collect the client from their home allowing enough time to travel to the appointment at a comfortable, safe speed arriving in time.
- Escort the client, when appropriate, to the reception area and/or waiting areas.
- Collect the client at the completion of treatment and drive them home again, (unless it is a one way drive by arrangement).
- Inform the Driving Coordinator of any issues or changes to schedule.
- Comply with the policies and procedures of Cancer Society while on duty
- Ability to work comfortably with people of all social, religious and cultural backgrounds
- Understand and respect the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi
- Ability to maintain boundaries and respect confidentiality
- A caring and sensitive manner
- Reliable and flexible
- Be an experienced and safe driver
- Access to a reliable and tidy vehicle that is road-worthy, registered, insured and has a current Warrant of Fitness
- Orientation and training and driver update meetings
- Support and guidance provided whenever required
- Volunteer identification to be worn whenever on duty
- Contribution towards travel expenses
Due to the nature of this work we always allow for a 1 year stand down period for any volunteer who has had a close personal experience with cancer
All volunteers will be required to undergo police vetting
2 referees personal and/or professional
Drivers can choose to claim 30c or 50c per km
A Police background check is required for this role.
Usually between 2-5 hours per assignment. Driving is generally carried out between business hours on Monday to Friday
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below.
We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.
Apply for this role: