The Invercargill Prison has a caring and enthusiastic group of around 3,000 volunteers who provide diverse activities for prisoners with the ultimate goal of reducing re-offending. These include recreational activities, including a Crochet group, and they need someone to teach basic skills.
As a volunteer you will:
- help a small group to develop their crochet skills and make simple toys for community groups
- be provided with all necessary materials
- work with the Volunteer Coordinator to provide an enjoyable class
- be given Health & Safety Induction and training on how to be a volunteer in the prison
While the obvious purpose is to create items that the community can use there are many other significant impacts. These classes provide prisoners an opportunity to:
- Talk to non staff members about life outside the wire.
- Remember and talk of better times
- Help each other
- Learn to solve problems themselves.
- Improve their coordination and fine motor skills
- A sense of worth
- A chance to express themselves
- A time to think critically – decide and evaluate their decisions
- Gain confidence in what they do
- Help them socialise with others
- Use their imagination
- Experience the design, process and method of doing things
- Take pride in what they do
- A diversion from the routine
- Gain a skill regardless of education level, literacy or verbal ability.
- Be curious
- Be normal
You play an important part in keeping prisoners connected with the outside world. Prisoners may also look at you as a role model, watching how you deal with situations and people. These and other classes all provide tools that support prisoner rehabilitation and reintegration.
- Basic crochet skills
- Patience to instruct total beginners
- Must be over 18 years of age.
- Be a friendly, positive, and caring person.
A Ministry of Justice background check is required for this role.
Minimum of 2 hours a week. Work days (excluding Wednesdays) between 1pm to 3pm.
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below.
We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.
Apply for this role: