The Starfish Collective runs a Community Pathways programme, to support refugee resettlement. This programme is similiar to those run in Canada and the UK. They are looking for people to be part of this exciting pilot and to provide this pathway here in New Zealand.
- Would you like to join them in welcoming two refugee families to Dunedin?
- You'd be supporting them to orient themselves in and set up safe, independent lives in New Zealand where they can look to the future with hope and opportunity
You'll gain valuable experience in relating to people from different cultures while having the privilege of helping them to settle in a new country.
Sponsorship pilot: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/assist-migrants-and-students/assist-refugees/refugee-sponsorship
- A caring and friendly disposition
- Empathy towards those from other cultures
- Patience with foreign language speakers
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Your own roadworthy/legal transport with full drivers license (WoF, Reg and Insurance)
- Comprehensive induction/orientation training and support to be provided by Starfish through their umbrella mentor organization (Host International)
- Police Background Check
A Police background check is required for this role.
- They're anticipating that the first 6 weeks will be the busiest, lessening as time goes on
- Weeks 1-6 - ideally up to 10-15 hours per week, some of these hours during week days (flexible to suit your schedule)
- Weeks 6-8 - up to 2-3 hours per week (flexible to suit your schedule)
- Weeks 8 onwards - 2 hours per month at least
- The duration of the group's contract with Immigration NZ is 2 years, but a minimum commitment of 6 months would be appreciated for continuity with the families
- Some time for reporting/documentation will be required, as STARFISH report regularly to Immigration NZ about the progress of the pilot
- Consistency and commitment is a requirement
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below.
We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.
Apply for this role: