parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in. These events take place in pleasant parkland surroundings, and they encourage people of every ability to take part; from those taking their first steps in running to Olympians; from juniors to those with more experience; they welcome you all.
parkrun started in 2004 in London with a group of friends, and it has grown to over 2,200 events across 22 countries with more than 7 million registered participants – Queenstown parkrun started in June 2018.
Queenstown parkrun takes place every Saturday morning at 8am in summer (during daylight savings hours) and 9am in winter, starting and finishing in the picturesque Queenstown Gardens, followed by a post-event coffee at Yonder.
6-8 volunteers are needed each week to assist on run day with all or some of the following tasks:
• Setting up the course before 8am (putting out cones and signage, checking the track for hazards)
• Marshalling on the course, ensuring runners take the right turns/direction
• Operating the stopwatch to time runners as they finish
• Handing out finish tokens at the finish line
• Barcode scanning at the finish line
• Photographing participants around the course
• Being a tail-walker to ensure all participants finish safely and collecting cones/markers following the last runner/walker
Event volunteers will work alongside the Run Directors to deliver an efficient, safe and fun event each week. They will learn about the global culture of parkrun and how to coordinate the event – over time there may be an opportunity to take on a Run Director role, and volunteers will learn skills applicable to other community-based events.
If you have skills that you wish to share and some energy and enthusiasm, they would love to hear from you.
Volunteers are sought after, who have:
• An interest or passion in community events and running/walking/fitness.
• An outgoing, friendly personality with the ability to show initiative.
• Any relevant experience related to the tasks would be gratefully accepted, or a willingness and enthusiasm to share the parkrun spirit!
Saturday mornings from 7:30am in summer or 8:30am in winter for 1.5-2 hours with the option to choose to be on the roster for any particular week.
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below. We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.