Hāwea Moggie Squad formed in late 2021 and is a volunteer-led animal welfare charity based in Hāwea, and reaching as far as Makarora and the Lindis. Their aim is to help cats in any way that is needed.
Late summer and autumn is the kitten season, and they are in urgent need of foster families then but are grateful to have volunteers all year round.
What does fostering entail?
- The Squad provide all of the equipment, food and support, as well as cover vet fees.
- Volunteers need to provide a nurturing environment, and possibly a trip or two to the vet for ‘the essentials’ before kitty is adopted to their forever home.
- Much of fostering involves socialisation and health monitoring but a orientation and support are provided by the squad, especially if you are a first time fosterer wanting to make a difference and save a life.
Other ways to support rescue efforts:
- Extra socialising in existing foster homes
- Graphic design
- Knitting and crocheting toys
- Accounting skills to help with EOY books
If you are a cat fan with not for profit experience they'd love to hear from you!
Please bear in mind that are they are operated solely by volunteers, they may not be able to respond to you straight away, however one of the team will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Genuine love of animals, cats in particular
- Caring nature
- Ideally, a drivers licence and access to a car for vet trips, however, the squad can provide vet trips for a cat loving non-driver.
- To be a fosterer, you must be either in your own home or have your landlords permission to foster cats or kittens
- You can be based anywhere in the Upper Clutha.
- Ideally 6 months minimum for fostering.
- Time required for other roles varies.
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below.
We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.
Apply for this role: