All over New Zealand, StarJam inspires young people with disabilities (Jammers) to express themselves through music, dance, singing and performance. StarJam workshops, gigs and discos are fun and exciting spaces for Jammers to grow in confidence, discover musical and performance talents and make lifelong friends.
StarJam is a place for Connections, and for Music, Dance and Textiles Activities to take place. StarJam are currently reaching out to the Dunedin Community for new Volunteers to support their evening workshops for 2 hours weekly, or in a relief capacity, and to also support at their events and gigs.
As a StarJam Facilitator you will:
- Assist the contracted Tutor who is responsible for leading/running the regular workshop
- Work with three other volunteers to ensure that all jammers are happy, content and safe
- Ensure jammers are having a good time
- Have fun and make genuine connections with others in your community
- Be facilitating the magic of music and dance in the community
- Enjoy a unique role as a StarJam volunteer while Jamming along and spreading good vibes
- Facilitating group of between 12 - 14 people with a disability at accessible venues
- You will receive a 1hr orientation to prepare for this role
Benefits of joining the StarJam team:
- You will learn how to support individuals with disabilities and to see how StarJam impacts this community
- You will be provided thorough training, support and ongoing mentoring
- You have the opportunity to contribute positively to the lives, health and wellbeing of young people who identify as having a disability
- Don't need any particular level of fitness as the tutor directs the program
- A willingness to have fun alongside some cool people
- Complete an expression of interest online form
- Attend a 15min online chat/interview where StarJam Staff get to know you
(you can also ask them questions about StarJam workshops and events)
- Agree to provide references
- Agree to undergo a police check
- Attend a 1 hour online orientation
A Police background check is required for this role.
StarJam have spaces for volunteers to participate in regular weekly workshops, relief workshops or StarJam events
(Relief Volunteers will be offered spaces in the evening workshops and on a casual basis as required)
- You choose how often you are available to Jam!
- They have 4 workshops across the region all held on weeknights Monday-Wednesday from 6.00pm – 7.30pm
(South Dunedin, Mornington or Mosgiel)
- StarJam asks volunteers to arrive 15mins early to help set up and welcome Jammers
- You will be invited to support special events such as Gigs and Disco's (3 times a year), Performances (3 times a term) and the Annual Show
- 1 year minimum commitment preferred (ideally)
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below.
We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.
Youth & Children
Apply for this role: