The community inspired Vanished World Society was established in the early 2000's to help raise public awareness about the geology of the Waitaki district. The Centre in Duntroon (35-minute drive from Oamaru) houses an inspiring collection of fossils detailing the geology of the district and is open 7 days a week. We have staff that cover 5 days a week and need volunteers to help us cover the other 2 days.
We need volunteers to help with:
• Opening & closing the Centre
• Greeting & guiding visitors to the Centre
• Providing information about Geopark sites
• Providing visitors with information about Duntroon and Waitaki District
• Recording daily visitor numbers and income
• Some administration tasks
Volunteers will gain:
• Increased knowledge of Waitaki’s heritage – The stories of our land and our people
• Fantastic opportunities to meet both locals and visitors and work with an enthusiastic team of people
• Great personal development with opportunities to both share your skills and learn many more
• Welcoming, polite and concise verbal communication and tidy presentation
• Honest, reliable, punctual and trustworthy
• Basic computer literacy ideal
• Ability to use your initiative
• Comfortable to work by yourself
There is a 7 day / week roster with shifts between 9.30am – 5pm in summer and 10am – 4.30pm in winter. Ideally, volunteers would commit to 1 shift per month. Preferably weekends, but weekdays are also possible.
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below. We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.