Located on a sunny site on the corner of Stone Street is Elmslie House, providing rest home care. A change of address, not of lifestyle, is how they describe a person’s move into a Presbyterian Support Otago home. Residents continue to have personal choices – when to get up in the morning, go on outings, be involved in activities. Some residents would like to go out more for walks but find it difficult to go alone.
In this role you will:
- Spend 1:1 time chatting with and supporting residents on a 15-45 minute walk depending on their fitness and ability
- Encourage and help with building up confidence
- Give residents the confidence to walk outside the homes grounds
- Assist residents with walking aids or wheel chairs
- Build rapport, have a laugh.
Benefits residents experience when you walk with them:
- helps them stay fit
- gives them something to look forward to
- improves joint mobility, muscle strength, circulation and bone density
- it can improve mental well-being, relieving stress and improving memory
- it can improve sleep and boost energy
Never underestimate the power of one volunteer hour! You will gain satisfaction from enabling residents to be as independent as possible, and contributing to their quality of life, and experience ‘helpers high’- a rush of euphoria and the release of endorphins that occurs when you volunteer!
The role would suit someone who:
- Is mature, non-judgmental, open minded
- Physically capable of supporting residents with limited mobility
- Has a calm nature and a good sense of humour
- Enjoys communicating with people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Has a genuine interest in kindness and respect for the elderly
- Is able to relate to residents and their circumstances with empathy and patience
- Has good communication and listening skills
- Understands and respects confidentiality
- Is reliable, well presented and polite.
A Police background check is required for this role.
- Between 11:00am and 12:00pm
- Flexible, on day that suited you.
- Weekly, or more often if you have the time.
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below.
We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.
Apply for this role: