Located on Cardrona Valley Road in Wanaka, Aspiring Enliven provides housing in a caring, friendly setting and caters for residents of varying needs, including a dedicated dementia wing.
How you can get involved:
- Assist dementia care staff in the facilitation of the weekly leisure and lifestyle program, encourage residents to engage in meaningful activities.
- Activities range from singing and games to movement and walks.
- Facilitating small group activities like arts and crafts, table top games like BINGO, assisting with with weekly manicures (if that's your thing).
- Providing 1:1 support and meaningful conversation to residents on a regular basis.
In this role you will need to feel confident in the following tasks:
- Assisting Activity Coordinators to run group activities with the residents
- Facilitating small group activities such as crafts, dance or exercise programs.
- Providing emotional and social support to residents on a regular basis through 1:1 engagement.
- Pushing wheelchairs and assisting the residents to mobilise
Why do volunteers choose this role?
- You will enjoy making a difference in somebody's life whilst developing their own interpersonal skills.
- You get the opportunity to gain an insight into elder care, meet new people, establish new friendships and have fun
- You will receive appropriate training and supervision for this role, and develop new knowledge and skills
You are someone who:
- Is friendly, reliable, trustworthy and has good communication skills
- Is physically capable of pushing wheelchairs and assisting the residents to mobilise, particularly needed when taking residents on walks.
- Has a natural interest in older people, with a patient, caring and respectful attitude
- Is happy working as part of a team.
As you will be stepping into the 'Home' of elderly people, Enliven take great care in choosing their volunteers. You will need to complete a Police Check and provide references. and will be required to sign a Code of Conduct.
A Police background check is required for this role.
- 1.5 hours per week or fortnight depending on your availability.
- Between 1:30-3pm.
- Volunteers that can commit for at least 6 months or longer are preferred.
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below.
We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.
Apply for this role: