The Quarantine Island/Kamau Taurua Community Inc focus on the ecological restoration of Quarantine Island. The Island is listed as a Historic Area with Heritage NZ. The Community helps to care for the Island, protecting and enhancing its ecology, biodiversity and heritage. Quarantine Island was once a completely bush-clad forest that was cut down to make way for quarantine buildings and farming.
Located on Quarantine Island/Kamau Taurua in the heart of Otago Harbour, the Quarantine Island/Kamau Taurua Community are looking for an educator with a passion for the education work they do on the island.
They're looking for a:
- Casual educator (leader or assistant) to inspire visitors towards the goal of conservation awareness
- Person to help them with their education programmes (for school groups visiting the island)
- Educator to tell the historical story of the island in a way that makes it come alive
- Individual who can involve groups in the biodiversity project which includes:
- Predator control and monitoring of birds, skinks
- Weed control, and the replanting of native seedlings /ongoing care of native seedlings
- Training and support will be provided relating to activities on the island
- You will be working, and learning, alongside the Keeper (Resident Manager) and the Island's other volunteers
- You may also be working alongside community members off the island
What are the benefits of the role?
- Your work is valuable in that it educates the Island's visitors in the conservation goals and vision of the charity
- You will being inspiring others with your infectious passion for conservation
- You will be meeting like-minded people
- You will have the opportunity to share your values of social justice with others who care about the natural environment
- You will be protecting an important part of NZ heritage
- Volunteers find spending time together to care for, and enhance, the island is deeply satisfying & rejuvenating
- You will be encouraging and modelling a sustainable, caring and cooperative society that involves young people
- Confident and articulate
- Must be physically fit
- Must be able to speak clearly to groups of people including school children
- Knowledge of NZ biodiversity, natural history and nature conservation is preferred, but not essential
Please note: Boat access only, charges may apply. Boat transport options and all other details can be found on email@example.com or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org when you apply.
Can vary on application weekdays/weekends
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below.
We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.
Apply for this role: